Friday, December 26, 2008

It was their idea




Both the boys and I agree that this is our favorite time of year for lots of different reasons. I have really enjoyed starting different traditions as they have gotten a little bit older. Bennett loves to decorate and of course they both love the count down to the 25th using our nativity advent calendar. They also look forward to advent. I grew up doing advent and I have a lot of fond memories related to it. I am so glad that my boys enjoy it too. We also love to read our Christmas books. When they were little I decided each year I wanted to give them a book so that when they are older they can take a Christmas book collection with them. This has become a great tradition that we all love.

Sometimes as a mother you don't always know if your ideas are going to be successful. This Christmas eve, I think I got it right. I decided on a simple supper meal starting with cheese fondue and ending with chocolate fondue (okay, it sounds fancy but it was really just our favorite chocolate chips melted). Bennett's response" Mommy, can we do this every year" and during the chocolate part Cody said " This is the life!

I was really proud of them and surprised when they suggested that the first thing that we would do on Christmas morning was read one of Bennett's favorite Christmas books called " The Legend of the Three Trees", do advent together and then open presents. I wished I could have captured on film them coming in at 7am in their robes and climbing into our bed and reading together followed by lighting our Jesus candle. I think they got the true meaning of Christmas for a few moments......until they were asking " Are there more presents for me? "

Probably the best moment this Christmas season was when we asked them "What is the best gift you can give Jesus?" and they both agreed "My heart" . What a great reminder!

No comments: