Friday, August 1, 2008

The true source of hope

Here are some insights into hope that I have received in the last year.
In January I was struggling. I had relapsed for the second time and the doctor diagnosed me with the chronic form of Guillian Barre. I had suspected this, but it was very hard to accept. What does this mean? How do I take care of my children? How long will I have to be on these infusions? God, please help me to trust you and to put my hope in you. What does that even mean for me to put my hope only in God? God and I had a lot of conversations.

I now realize that there was a death that had to take place. I had to die to myself. I had no control. I remember in tears telling God that even if he did not restore my body here on earth, I would wait in eager expectation to when there would be no more pain, no more tears, and he would give me a new body. My hope was in him!
Amazingly enough, after the process of letting go God blessed us with good news. After a second and third opinion it was confirmed that I did not have the chronic form and hopefully in time I would recover. There is no doubt in my mind that God used this experience to help me put my focus in the right place.

Here are some quotes again from Jennifer Rothschild's book "Lessons I learned in the Dark" that have helped me.

Hope for healing is in him alone. Therefore my soul can wait-wait as long as it takes, even if it never happens here on earth. He alone is my rock and my refuge. My deliverance is not my source of hope-he is .

Hope in anything other than God himself will always disappoint.
When our hope is in God alone, not in what God can do for us, then we will not be shaken.

Don't fix your hope on earthly things like financial security, unruffled relationships, or restored health. The temporary things can never be a true source of hope. Instead fix your hope on God and his eternal word.

A quote from Jennifer's son " If God healed you here on earth you might love earth more and heaven is best"

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

Such things were written in the Scriptures long ago to teach us. They give us hope and encourgement as we wait patiently for God's promises. Romans 15:4

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone, my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation, he is my fortress I will not be shaken. Psalm 62:5


Next time: Am I willing to trade my comfort for companionship with God?

No comments: