Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Good visit

We are very thankful for a good visit with the neurologist. He was very thorough, patient amidst the complexity and compassionate. I left feeling like he really wanted to help me find the right combination of medications that would help me be more comfortable. Of course this is going to take some time, but we at least have a plan.

It is always amazing to me how over time more pieces of the puzzle come together. The greatest insight I received was understanding why I still have a lot of pain even though my nerve conduction tests are normal. I had not understood the nerve tests only test the heavily myelinated nerves that control movement and strength. This means that there is no clear way to see how the other nerves(ie.those responsible for pain) are functioning. The key then is to manage the symptoms while they heal. Of course, that means that there is no way of determining when the healing process will be complete.

So, I continue to be reminded and reflect on a quote that I found eight months ago.
"Waiting strengthens us by teaching us that our joy and peace and hope don't depend on when our needs and wants are met." Jennifer Rothschild
Rhonda

P.S. I can't forget the answered prayers this week. We have been talking and praying about what we would do this summer. Perry was pretty concerned about how I was going to manage with the boys all the time. God had it all figured out for us and graciously provided us with a friend's daughter to help me. We are so thankful!!

2 comments:

MLP said...

Checking on you & praying for you!!!

Meredith said...

Just checking in to see how you are doing. Keeping you in our prayers.....