Thursday, October 2, 2008

A day at a time

Once a week and it usually happens on a Thursday I have and need a rest (bed) day. To some it may seem like an inconvenience but for me it is a necessity and believe it or not usually a blessing. Several people have said to me that on the days that the boys are both at school I probably struggle not to do too much. Occasionally maybe but usually not. I have had to let go of a lot. No, I don't like to be in pain or feel terrible, but the days in bed are the ones when I learn the most. Those are the days when I do a lot of praying and thinking and reflecting.

One of my favorite times of day is at 830am. This is not because I have just dropped off Cody, but because that is when I listen to the Focus on the Family broadcast. Prior to my illness I did not listen and I wish I had. I have been so blessed and inspired by listening to different speakers. This morning was no exception as I listened to Dr. David Jeremiah talk about his new book"When your world falls apart". Listening to him talk about his battle with cancer and what he learned sure resonated with me. Not because I can relate to having cancer but about God's presence, peace and provision during something hard. Interestingly enough he is a speaker that really ministered to me during the first part of my illness. I find I can relate a lot more these days to people who are in pain and I think a great thing is that I am more willing to go to people's place of pain without being uncomfortable. There have been several times in the last month when I have thanked God for using my pain to minister to someone. No, I can't physically help people as much like I used to, but I sure can pray and encourage people.

The good news from the blood work I had done is that I do not have an inflammatory disease ie. lupus, rheumatoid arthritis etc. This leads us to believe that the pain and symptoms are still from my nerves recovering. I have to be honest and say that it has been hard to rest in my diagnoses mainly because some of my symptoms don't match up to the typical case of Guillian Barre. Following the most recent blood work I have had to make a decision to rest in what we know right now and take a day at a time. This past weekend I was more convinced than ever how much my medicine is helping. I was getting low on medicine and had not made it to the pharmacy to get my new prescription. I knew that Perry was going to go grocery shopping on Sunday and decided to wait until then. Unfortunately, I did not realize that the pharmacy closed early. I had no medicine to take at night and as a result slept very poorly because my legs where burning so bad. I am so thankful that we found something to help and I am trying to slowly increase it during the day to get more relief. Please pray that I will be able to tolerate it. From someone who never took medicine it is a big adjustment to constantly be thinking about when my next pill is due. This is an interesting season.

3 comments:

Adrianne said...

Rhonda, you are such an inspiration to me. I've told you before that I've never heard you complain and you still don't. You NEVER have anything but encouraging words to speak. Your hope and faith in God shines through you. You are amazing!

You are always in my thoughts and in my prayers. You have to get better, so you can take a trip to El Paso;-) I miss you!

Journey on! by Kelleye said...

Hey Rhonda! I caught up with you from Adrianne's blog! How are you- glad I am able to stop in and say hi on everyones blogs now!!!!! Looks like you are still amazing and everyone is doing well- Blessings! Kelleye

Journey on! by Kelleye said...

Ok- maybe I should have read more before I posted this last post=)